So it happened that while I was out voting (and badgering others to vote at work) my phone beeps to the wonderful surprise that Carina over at stepabout nominating me for a Liebster Award. Not heard of it, well... heres how it works:
1. Thank and link the person who nominated you. 2. Answer the nominator’s 11 questions. 3. Nominate small blogs who have less than 200 followers. You should believe that they deserve this award and include their link in your post. 4. Create 11 new questions for your nominees to answer. Notify these nominees via social media/blog.
So.. here are Carina's questions!
1) What languages do you speak?
English. I have words of Gaelic, Spanish and Italian. and am pretty good at getting the gist of Dutch when on holiday but thats it really. I was pretty terrible at languages at school, I always learnt better on holiday.
2) How did you come up with the name for your blog?
I was ramble brainstorming with the husband, and it kinda summed up two things I love- retro and vintage things and delicious food. Brainstorming came up trumps.
3) Name the top three places on your travel bucket list.
I REALLY want to go to the Arctic Circle and see Narwhals in the wild. I mean seriously, whales that think they are unicorns, whats better?! I've also really wanted to go to Japan for the Cherry Blossom festival (and the Ghibli Museum) for ages. I really should have gotten my act together and made it to the third already, but it'd have to be New York - my favourite Van Gogh is Starry Night which is in the Met. I have a physical NEED to see it in person
4) Most inspiring bloggers?
Inspiring? Oooh well, not trying to be pretentious or deep but bloggers that inspire me are people who are incredibly open about the really hard, personal stuff. The ability to just but yourself out there with no walls or safety net. I wish I could be so brave even 10% of the time.
5) Have you ever been involved in guest posting and would you like to be in the future?
I haven't! I guess I'm a bit too much of a chicken to put myself out there in that way. I really would like to thou *hint hint*. I have submitted an article to a magazine, which was kinda cool. (I'm going to be posting the piece here once its not in the current issue so keep your eyes peeled!)
6) Do you ever want to have kids?
I kinda think I already do. I've blogged about my miscarriages and although they were early, and I am totally pro-choice and all that, they are still my babies in my brain. It sounds a lot weirder than it feels, I guess its just the minute I got my positive tests I was a mum in my head, so I am.
7) And what about pets?
I LOVE animals. I've pretty much always had pets. We have plans for a dog when we move
8) Do you have any networking tips for new bloggers?
Bite the bullet and talk to people. Leave comments. If you write about someone let them know, even if its a big company/event. Twitter is amazing for this - I wrote a review of Shock Treatment, tagged everyone on twitter, and they all retweeted me - the theatre, producer, even some of the actors. If you love someone enough to write about them, let them know
9) Do you use Facebook for networking/spreading your blog? And how?
I have facebook, but cards on the table I'm bloody awful at updating it. Twitter and instagram are more my speed.
10) Favourite movies?
How long have you got?! If I nailed it to top five I could sit down and re-watch right now.. Begin Again, Rocky Horror, Princess Bride, Howls Moving Castle and Priscilla Queen of the Desert.
11) How did your friends react when you told them you’ve started blogging?
Nonplussed I think would be the word. I've always taken shed loads of photos when we've been out and doing stuff, so me doing it for the blog is not a big thing. Other than that its not something they've been bothered about really, in a good or bad way!!
OK, now for the fun part. I nominate..
my amazing friend Danielle at My Struggle with my Alter Ego. If you read her posts I'm the shopping buddy. Shes only new to this blogging lark but yeah, I refer you to question number 4. I also nominate Nic Ooh La La who I started chatting to on twitter during this weeks #lbloggers, and I'm liking her work. So Nicola, you are nominated!
Your questions should you choose to answer...
1) What Blog Post of yours are you most proud of? 2) What is your ideal breakfast food/drink? 3) what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen sparrow? your favourite funny scene in a movie or comedy sketch?? 4) If you could be any fictional character who would you be? 5) What is your favourite childhood memory? 6) Zombies are coming, you are stuck hiding in a shop (not food). What shop and why? 7) Books or movies?? 8) If you could have one vintage item, money and time no object, what would it be? Audrey Hepburn's little black dress (magically perfect size for you)? Frank Sinatra's hat?..something else.. the choice is yours, I want to know! 9) What is your superpower (FYI mine is sarcasm) 10) If you could live anywhere, where would it be? 11) You've just won £10,000... go! (What would you spend it on)
The sea is 2 minutes away, Brighton 10 miles and the era I wished I lived in somewhere in the region of 50 years. I like vintage style, hand made things, Harry Potter and Comics. My favourite colour is blue and I might be a unicorn in disguise.